This game is a fun and effective way to introduce students to identifying ascending intervals by ear. It’s also a great way to revise & reinforce these concepts.
With 8 different game boards, it has 8 different levels of difficulty, so you can choose which intervals you want to include each time your students play this game.
This game uses songs to demonstrate each interval, and to help students memorise each interval aurally. The teacher will need to teach the intervals and the song excerpt prompts to the students before they use this game for practice. But we have made this easy by including a song ‘prompt’ sheet to match each game board/level.
Why do students need to learn Aural interval recognition?
Aural recognition of intervals helps to improve sight singing, and audiation skills.
Aurally identifying intervals is required in many instrumental exams, and Musicianship/Music Craft exams:
- Many school music courses require interval recognition, or aural melodic dictation work, especially in senior school.
- Australian Music Exam Board (AMEB) instrumental & vocal exams have an aural section which requires aural interval recognition for grades 3, 4. 5 & 6.
- AMEB Musicianship exams require aural interval recognition for grades 4, 5 & 6.
- Trinity College instrumental/vocal exams test aural interval recognition in grades 3 & 4
- Being able to easily recognise intervals by ear will help students gain ability as musicians, and improve their song writing, sight singing, composition, melody dictation, and playing by ear skills, just to name a few.
It is intended to be used with just the teacher and pupil in an individual lesson, but it could also be used with an older student taking the teachers’ role in a practice session. Distance Learning? This game is ideal for Skype or Zoom type online lessons!
Looking for other material to teach and reinforce aural interval recognition? Check out Name that Song! - our interval board game for up to 6 players - an excellent resource for music classes.
Purchase once and print it forever, to use with all the students that you teach personally. (Studios with multiple teachers will need to buy a digital copy for each teacher.)
We especially appreciate 5 star ratings, so if you purchase this product and have any concerns that may lower your rating, please contact us and we will endeavor to rectify any problem.